The Buffy Tag: 2017

8/15/2017

Buffy the Vampire Slayer is my all-time favourite show. Hands down. Ever since I watched my first episode when I was 5 or 6, and saw this pretty blonde girl kicking some ass. I know the show too well and often find myself reciting the lines before the characters have the chance to. It's a problem, but one I'm happy to be flawed by. There are countless reasons why Buffy has defined so much of my being, so much so that I find it hard to put into words. The show saved me when I was a young girl afraid of change. When others my age were waiting for their prince to come and save them from a tower, I felt empowered with the knowledge of knowing that sometimes a girl can save herself and have that be enough. It enriched friendships in my eyes and taught me to not settle on anything less than someone who will tell you a tale of a yellow crayon when you're falling to pieces. Season six helped my young mind understand depression, and taught me that there is nothing to be ashamed of. Tara McClay helped me not be ashamed of my overwhelming shyness, even when it felt like it may define my life. The show gave me kickass clothing taste. But overall, the most important and valuable thing I gained from watching this show repeatedly throughout my childhood, was the belief that there will always be a light at the end of any tunnel. Not matter how dark and impossible it may feel at the time.

Buffy (and Angel) played a huge role in my and my mother's relationship. It was our outlet and defines almost all of our favourite memories in front of the TV, well, underneath the TV as we sat on the floor for our dog Jess to have the entire sofa. It seemed logical at the time. Buffy easily opened up the world of feminism to me, and taught me to have great taste in TV shows. Thanks to Buffy I have never not believed that females are just as powerful as males, nor have I ever had an "eye-opening" moment when seeing a girl-on-girl or boy-on-boy scene. It was always just the norm to me, which it should be to any child. This show broke almost all stereotypes, and watching as an impressionable young girl, I can safely safe that it taught me to be the person I am today. In the words of the Gilmore Girls "It's a lifestyle.".

From that stage of my life, it led to my obsession and collection of over 80 Buffy books, graphic novels, posters, the offical Buffy magazines, VHS tapes, DVD specials, board games, card games, SFX Buffy specials, and even a POP vinyl or two (The latter is a total shock, right?). Not to mention the yearbooks, episode guides, and scripts. You may say I had a teenie weenie habit of just buying everything Buffy that stumbled into my path - yeah, you'd be right.


During my time of being a blogger I've seen a lot of TV tags floating around but have yet to stumble across an updated Buffy tag. The horror! So I'm doing it myself. If this is anyone's idea and they have created something similar within the last 12 months, please let me know and I will add a credit at the bottom. I have an irrational fear of something like this flying under my radar and then being the not cool blogger who looks like she steals the spotlight. So, yeah, let me know!

If you want to do this tag, please do! The questions are listed below, and be sure to tweet me a link to your post as I'd love to browse and get chummy with some fellow Scoobies!

HERE ARE THE QUESTIONS:
1.Who is your favourite Scooby?
2.Non-Scooby character?
3. What's your favourite overall season? Why?
4. Which are your top 5 episodes?
5. Favourite season final?
6. Overall least favourite character?
7. Who is your favourite villain?
8. Favourite Buffyverse couple?
9. Which character do you think had the most development over the course of the show?
10. If you could change one thing about the series, what would it be?
11. Did you watch the spin-off Angel? Your thoughts?
12. If another character had a spin-off - whether now or whilst the show was running - who would you of chosen?
13. How and when did you discover the world of Sunnydale?
14. Best quote from the show?
15. Lastly, what is your favourite hidden message in BTVS?


HERE ARE MY ANSWERS: 
1.Who is your favourite Scooby? 
Besides the obvious choice - duh, Buffy - I'm going to go with Anya. Younger me would be yelling "Whaaaat?" right now and sulking until I swore to give Tara the winning spot, as I saw so much of myself in her, but the older I get the more I identify with Anya's view of the world. She's a light when she doesn't realise and despite her habit of doing the wrong thing, her heart is pure. Plus her sarcasm is everything that matters.

2.Non-Scooby character?
Clem. Hands down. Always Clem.

3. What's your favourite overall season? Why?
Season Two. Although I miss the antics of Anya, I think it's the best overall season as it gives us everything that Buffy does best. From comedy to the dark storytelling that only Joss Whedon can do.

4. Which are your top 5 episodes? 
Prophecy Girl, The Gift, Once More With Feeling, Graduation Day Part 2, Pangs.

5. Favourite season final? 
Although Prophecy Girl is my all-time favourite episode, I think Season Five's The Gift steals this one. As season finals go, that one sure knows how to be... final.

6. Overall least favourite character?
Warren. Slimy, pathetic, douche-bag Warren.

7. Who was your favourite villain?
I'm torn between Caleb and Angelus. No, wait, yes, Angelus. Because he was the only villain to make an impact on the hearts of the viewers and characters. The only villain you entirely loved to hate.

8. Favourite Buffyverse couple?
Buffy/Angel or Willow/Tara. I refuse to choose!

9. Which character do you think had the most development over the course of the show?
Buffy herself. She went from being a young girl who was afraid to die or face the reality of her situation, to being the girl who can kill her true love to save the world, to being the woman who was willing to die for the peace of it, to being the chosen one who will always stand up. Her lessons on adulthood were more potent than anything the supernatural world could throw at her, and I think that is something every girl will take from watching Buffy. We learn to be powerful women with her.

10. If you could change one thing about the series, what would it be? 
Honestly, a large chunk of season 7. Although I don't particularly dislike the final season's story, I always felt certain aspects were off-the-Buffy-book. Notably the ending of Empty Places. I felt as though it was all out of character and that frustrated me. Caleb causing so much destruction only to be killed within a 10 minute scene, The First being some unbeatable figure only to then be tripled by the hundreds and made to be killed by the slayerettes with what seemed like ease. The arrival of so many new characters when we were on limited time with those that already lived in our hearts. The lack of Giles. I guess I just wanted more, and despite there being some remarkable episodes in season 7, there were some that just felt like fillers.

11. Did you watch the spin-off Angel? Your thoughts?
Of course! It was only after getting an Internet connection that I realised some haven't bothered or just aren't interested. Angel is my second favourite show and I beg anyone to give it a shot (though let's all ignore that season 5 happened, 'kay?)

12. If another character had a spin-off - whether now or when the show was running - who would you of chosen?
Probably Faith, as I think she'd be the best opinion in terms of making it work as a separate show. But to not be entirely predictable, I'm going to go with.. Andrew and Jonathan. Think Supernatural but with bigger dorks!

13. How and when did you discover the world of Sunnydale?
I was roughly 5-6 years old, so maybe 2001? 2002 at a push. I was in the living room with my mum and she was watching season 6 part 2 on VHS and said "I think you'd like this". The rest, as they say, is history. Season 2's episode "Halloween" was my official head-over-heels moment due to Buffy's glorious costume. I need that dress!

14. Best quote from the show?
"Seize the moment, because tomorrow you might be dead."
OR
"No weapons, no friends, no hope.Take all that away, and what's left?"
"Me."

15. Lastly, what is your favourite hidden message in BtVS?
That it doesn't have to take a literal monster to do something monstrous.


So there we have it! Be sure to tag or tweet me if you answer these questions as I would absolutely love to read them. Please, please, please with sprinkles on top of a fully baked cookie. (Get the reference? Heh. I amuse myself)

- Anne x

6 comments

  1. Absolutely loved this post!! It's always interesting to see what other people thought of seasons, relationships and characters! I'll definitely be doing this tag!! xx

    Golly Miss Holly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to read it! PS: Completely random but I love your lunch recipe posts. So yummy!

      Delete
  2. I just wrote up my post and will probably schedule it later tonight or on Thursday.

    - Britney @ http://surrealistique.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I decided to go ahead and publish mine. :)

    https://surrealistique.wordpress.com/2017/09/20/the-buffy-tag/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved this post! I did a Buffy tag on my blog earlier this year that I found on 'I talk to Gh0sts' blog (Which no longer exists!), but the questions are very different. Buffy is my favourite show of all time. I've made a note to do this one too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! There are never enough Buffy tags in the world. Heading straight over to your blog to read yours now. <3

      Delete

Latest Instagrams

© Rooting Branches. Design by FCD.